Houston DACA Lawyer

A Professional and Friendly Advocate to Guide You Confidently Through the DACA Process

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is an important program implemented by the federal government that affords immigrant children temporary lawful residency rights. If you are wondering about your or your child’s eligibility for DACA, or if you seek legal assistance in applying for the program, do not hesitate to reach out to the Law Office of Ivan Neel. Mr. Neel understands how crucial and overwhelming these kinds of cases are, and he will provide professional and experienced guidance so that you can feel confident about your case and your future. The immigration system can feel cold and unfriendly, but Mr. Neel is here to lend an honest and thoughtful hand. He will help you understand your rights under DACA and how you can apply if you meet the eligibility requirements.

Schedule an initial consultation with the Houston firm to get started. Call (832) 447-6748 – we offer DACA counsel to immigrants nationwide.

What Is the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Policy?

The DACA program is no longer in effect, but if you were granted DACA status prior to the program’s termination, you may still obtain renewals of your DACA status.

The DACA policy allows young, unauthorized immigrants who came to the U.S. as children to remain in the country with temporary lawful status, provided that they meet the below eligibility guidelines. If granted, DACA lasts for 2 years at a time, subject to renewal, and the individual can apply for work authorization.

If you have received deferred action, you are considered to be lawfully present in the U.S., though it does not guarantee legal immigration status or citizenship. Your protection under DACA may be terminated if you engage in criminal activity or leave the country without advanced parole.

Who Is Eligible for DACA Renewals?

To qualify for DACA, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Have entered the country before the age of 16 and be under the age of 31 by June 15, 2012.
  • Have continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007.
  • Be at least 15 years old and enrolled in school, have graduated high school, received a GED, or have been honorably discharged from military service.

You will be deemed ineligible for DACA status if you have been convicted of a felony, a significant misdemeanor (e.g., violence, burglary, DUI, unlawful possession of a firearm or drugs), or multiple misdemeanors.

Filing for DACA

If you meet the above requirements, you can request DACA status with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) agency. The filing process entails the following steps:

  • Collect documents to evidence that you meet the eligibility guidelines – proof of identity documents like your passport or birth certificate, proof you came to the U.S. before your 16th birthday, proof of your immigration status, proof of your presence in the U.S. on June 15, 2012, proof you continuously stayed in the U.S. since June 15, 2007, proof of your student status, proof you were honorably discharged (if applicable)
  • Complete the required forms – I-821D (Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization), I-765WS (Worksheet)
  • Mail your forms to the corresponding USCIS lockbox
  • Visit an Application Support Center (ASC) for your biometrics
  • Receive a decision on your case

An experienced DACA lawyer can better guide you through the legal process of applying for the program. Mr. Neel firmly believes in your right as a young immigrant to obtain lawful status to reside in the U.S., and he will do his best to help you build a strong application and understand every step of the process. 

Can DACA Recipients Apply For Permanent Residency Or Citizenship?

While Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals does not grant permanent residency or a direct way to obtain U.S. citizenship, DACA recipients may explore other ways to pursue other immigration benefits. For example, if a DACA recipient is eligible for another type of benefit, such as being sponsored by an employer or marrying a U.S. citizen, then they may go through those immigration processes based on their situation, such as consular processing or adjustment status.

Before completing any applications, we highly recommend speaking with an experienced DACA lawyer in Houston, TX at Law Office of Ivan Neel. Attorney Ivan Neel can take a look at your situation, assess your eligibility for certain immigration benefits, and help you navigate the immigration process. It is advisable to work with a seasoned attorney to ensure that you fully understand what your options are and to prevent any delays in your process.

At Law Office of Ivan Neel, our services are available in Spanish and our reasonable payment plans make our services more accessible to all. With our years of experience and 5-star ratings, we are prepared to provide you the knowledge, guidance, and advocacy you need to get through the immigration system. Dial (832) 447-6748 to request a consultation with a skillful Houston DACA lawyer.

Contact me at the Law Office of Ivan Neel to discuss your DACA concerns in more detail. Let’s get you lawful work authorization as a young immigrant.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • “I wish I had contacted Ivan Neel sooner!!” - Isadora G.
  • “Very Professional and Secure” - Jose R.
  • “Makes You Feel Like Family” - Ramona W.